Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Smarter than mom


This year Jayden is in the 2nd grade and it now up to 20 word/week spelling test. Many of them are what the school refers to as "sight" words, which mean that they can not be sounded out by traditonal methods. They must be memorized. Because of this we have to spend a great deal of time studing them and testing Jayden over them each day to insure he's prepared for Friday's spelling test. On Monday, October 13th, Jayden was about he normal routine of writing the words for the day and saying them out loud except, I noticed that he really wasn't paying much attention, he was just going through the motions. I asked him a few times to really think about what he was saying and writing so he would get the words right the first time and wouldn't have re-write the words again (as is our custom if he misspells a word). He didn't seem a bit concerned so I left him alone with the assignment and started getting things together for the next day. Several minutes later, Jayden came into the master bath room where I was ironing clothes and said "mom, I'm ready to take my test" rushed out of the room and returned to the notebook he had been writing in. I asked "do you need extra time to study?" "No, I'm ready" he said. This was completely uncharactoristic, normally I have to prod him to get the test over with. So, I walked into the room where he was shielding a piece of paper, suspicious as to what he was up to I said "let me see you paper", he reluctantly gave it to me and to my suprise he had written the words at the bottom of the paper lightly so that he could reference them during our mock spelling test. Needless to say, I gave him a lecture on CHEATING and how I wasn't born yesterday and every little trick he even thinks about trying I've already tried them with my parents and know what he's up to even before he's up to it most of the time. He think's he can outsmart me, I don't think so buddy.

No comments: